There can be a fine line between pleasure, I mean Posture and Pain…
So many people I meet will tell me as soon as they know that I’m a Chiropractor, that they know their posture is bad…they’ll happily tell me they have had Posture problems for years. Since they were a teenager.
In the next breath they will tell me about pains and niggles that have also been bothering them for a long time, but they haven’t made the link that the two issues may be related.
It makes sense that if we spend most of our day sitting, whether in the car, in front of the computer, on the couch, more often than not in the wrong posture, that it will most likely have an impact on how our bodies are feeling and functioning.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics estimate that most adults with sedentary jobs spend up to 22-23 hours a week sitting.
We spend an average of 4 hours a day just sitting and watching TV, and that’s before taking into account things like sitting in a car, or on the bus or train to get to and from work.
If we put stress on our body for too long, our body will start giving us signs and signals to do something about it.
Some signs and symptoms you might notice if your have poor posture
- You notice that you are slouching when sitting or standing
- Your head is sitting further forward than your shoulders
- You have shoulder tension and pain
- You have “sway back”
- You have lower back pain after standing
Things you can do to improve your posture
- Take mini-breaks from sitting every 45-60 minutes
- Exercise regularly
- Assess your work station for optimal ergonomics
- Avoid using your laptop on your lap
- Have your posture assessed by a professional
If you would like to get your posture professionally checked, take advantage of this very special offer from Dr Maria from Inner Edge Wellness of a VIP consultation for just $50.